Monday 21st Jan 2019
Radiance Views Weekly
You are here: Home »  Editorial
Text size: A | A

Egypt at the Threshold of Democracy

Editorial

Within the span of a week the world witnessed two phases of referendum on the draft constitution of Egypt going smoothly with no untoward incident of great magnitude taking place. In a country with 16.6 million voters spread over 27 provinces exercising their franchise, this is a landmark event.

The overall results of the referendum – 64 per cent ‘Yes’ and the remaining 36 per cent ‘No’ – bring into light the legitimacy of President Mohamed Morsi administration as well as the rising acceptability of the ideology, services and sacrifices of Ikhwan al-Muslimoon, which has suffered trials and tribulations of sorts with utmost courage and patience, wisdom and political acumen during the brutal military regimes of Gamal Abdel Nasser, Anwar Sadat and Hosni Mubarak spread over six decades.

The world has also witnessed the Machiavellian machinations of ultra-secular forces, whose only brief is strong opposition to all that stands for Islam, trying hard to stop the Islamic parties coming to power in the country. A 26 November report of London based TV channel Al-Hiwar revealing a secret meeting between former foreign minister of Egypt Amr Mousa and former foreign minister of Israel Tzipti Livni in Ramallah where Livni asked Mousa to ‘unsettle’ the Morsi government. One can fathom Mousa’s personal and political interests in such a secret agreement with a country whose very existence is still questionable. It was soon after his return from Ramallah that Mousa along with El Baradei and some Coptic Christians withdrew from the constituent assembly responsible for drafting the constitution. Mousa was seen so much enthusiastic in his move that he withdrew a clause which he himself had proposed. But, despite this international diabolic interference in the internal affairs of Egypt, the constituent assembly finalised the constitution with overwhelming 85 per cent support vote and sent it to the President who issued orders for referendum. And now the referendum too has tasted the salt of the soil.

Now, once the constitution comes into effect, the first thing President Morsi is expected to do is to issue a decree for the next general elections within a period of 90 days. So the time to come in Egypt seems to be hard. But the post-revolution developments in the country indicate that Freedom and Justice Party, the political wing of Ikhwan, will come out with flying colours, with much more overwhelming majority than it could win in the last elections. Other Islamic parties, which are lending support to the present Morsi administration, are also likely to have a tie with FJP. Thus after the general elections Egyptians will have a democratic government of their own.



Top
Gujarat Verdict  Puts BJP in Dilemma
Vol. L No.40, 2012-12-30
Gujarat Verdict Puts BJP in Dilemma
ISLAMISTS UNDER FIRE 
From Egypt to Bangladesh
Vol. LI No.20, 2013-08-18
Gujarat Verdict Puts BJP in Dilemma
Political Implications of Ban on Bangladesh Jamaat-e-Islami
Vol. LI No.19, 2013-08-11
Gujarat Verdict Puts BJP in Dilemma
Egypt's Al-Sisi Dragged the Country into Civil War
Vol. LI No.18, 2013-08-04
Gujarat Verdict Puts BJP in Dilemma
The Scourge of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse
Vol. L No.43, 2013-01-20
Gujarat Verdict Puts BJP in Dilemma
Arab Spring: Promises and Challenges
Vol. L No.21, 2012-08-19
Gujarat Verdict Puts BJP in Dilemma
Just World Order
Vol. XLIX No.43, 2012-01-29
Gujarat Verdict Puts BJP in Dilemma
Let Us Refuse to Be Provoked
Vol. L No.27, 2012-09-30
Gujarat Verdict Puts BJP in Dilemma
The Islamists and Western Blinkers
Vol. L No.15, 2012-07-08
Gujarat Verdict Puts BJP in Dilemma
Death, Disappearance and Despair in India
Vol. L No.13, 2012-06-24
Gujarat Verdict Puts BJP in Dilemma
Subscribe 
 
Focus Issue
 Enter your Email:
Submit